Trecase is the smallest Commune on the Vesuvian slopes. The area of Trecase, along with Boscotrecase and Boscoreale, was already known to the Romans who named it felix suburbanus pagus augustus – ‘pagus,’ in Latin, means village. With the famous eruption of the Vesuvius in79 AD which destroyed Pompeii, the territory was, however, buried by lapilli and ash.
Further news dates back to the year 1000 AD when the territory of Trecase was part of the Duchy of Naples. A couple of centuries later the area became a Royal hunting ground, by the decision of Frederick II of Svevia, and it took on the name Sylva Mala. In 1337 Robert of Anjou, King of Naples, gave the hunting ground to three Neapolitan monasteries, on the request of his wife, Sancha. The name of Trecase can be traced back to precisely this fact: when the first houses were developed here around 1500, the villagers had to pay their property taxes to the three monasteries. The village was further expanded in the second half of 1500. The baroque church dedicated to St. Maria delle Grazie dates back to this period and was elected to become a Parish by Pope Sixtus V, becoming a reference point not only for Trecase but also for the surrounding small villages.
Later, in 1700, Trecase became a resort for noble families from Naples who built their summer residences here – in particular Villa Langella, Filippone, Lebano and Ruta.